Tuesday 24 January 2012

15 minute steak dinner

Ok, I left the office at 6:35 in the evening and I was hungry as can be. I was in the mood for steak but I didn't want to eat rubber from most of the restaurants in the city so I decided to make a quick steak dinner.

I wanted something filling, cheap and quick. I decided I'll have some couscous with the steak so off I went to food world. As I wanted something cheap, I'll write down the prices here. I bought everything from foodworld.

The ingredients:

1 small onion - 50 toea
1 red chilli pepper - 35 toea
couscous - K1.20 for a serving and a half
chopped cashew nuts - K3.50
porterhouse steak - K10.00

Total - K15.55

The procedure:

Chop half the onion and set aside. Take the other half of the onion and slice it. Cut the chilli lengthwise and take out the seeds and then chop it up. Heat up your pan and fry the steak 3.5 minutes for each side over a medium flame for medium rare which is how I like it.

Now while your steak is cooking, put your couscous in a bowl and pour some boiling water in it. Put just enough so the water goes slightly above the couscous' level and cover it well. Any more would make it mushy. After 2 minutes, the couscous is done and throw in the chopped onions, the chopped chilli and the chopped cashews. Mix it all together and throw in a bit of butter and add some salt. If you have some lemon juice,, throw a little in but the couscous would be alright without it.

Once the steak is done, saute the sliced onions in the leftover juices and oil from the steak. Now serve it all together on a plate. There you go, a nice steak dinner for less than K20 in less than 15 minutes!

Here are a few photos:


chop half of your onion, chop the chilli 

pan fry your steak - don't forget to salt it

my 15 minute steak dinner

Enjoy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment