Monday 13 February 2012

Duffy's in Port Moresby

It was my friend Olie who told me about Duffy's. He said that their coffee is good and I should try it. When I first heard of Duffy's though, I couldn't help but laugh since the name conjured up images of the popular Duff beer from the Simpsons and I imagined I'd find someone like Homer sipping away in a dark corner and Moe serving up drinks. Anyway, I don't write about resaurants and cafes these days ever since my restaurant review column Bite Me in the Post-Courier stopped coming out. I thought I'd make an exception with this cafe.

I dropped by yesterday but it was closed to my disappointment as I was in a coffee mood. Today, I made a quick stop and I wasn't disappointed. They had a proper coffee machine with bean grinders. You have a choice of either an imported coffee or Banz which is a local coffee. I chose the imported one as I like my coffee to be stronger and a bit more robust. Though PNG has very good beans, I find that the roast isn't good and the coffee lacks soul. It's sweet as it is pure arabica but it could have been roasted better.

They had a selection of cupcakes, cheese cakes, chocolate delights and other delectable delights. I had the banana bread which was quite chunky. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as moist as I would have liked it to be. I was told though that they had two types and I ordered the drier variety. I'll try to order the moist one next time. I also had the chocolate tart which was pretty good.

They have a good drink selection with a variety of teas and coffees. I will most likely stop by again in the near future to try out their other offerings. Their cafe area is divided into an indoor air-conditioned area and an al fresco one. I watched a guy the rigging up one of the large umbrellas while I sat sipping on my coffee through the window and took a photo as soon as he was done.

Here are some photos.


They also had a street fashion shop upstairs but I didn't go up anymore as I needed to be somewhere else.  If you want to try this place out, it is on Gabaka street besides Hitron. It is in-between Ela Murray and Hitron if you're on Gabaka.

Ciao!

1 comment: