Tuesday 30 August 2011

Babies! (eagles and wallaby)

Papua New Guinea is a land full of wildlife. Over here, people can have all manners of pets. Through the years, I have had people sell me all sorts of animals from a bandicoot to a cassowary and even a crocodile! I only bought a pet once. I got a baby wallaby and named him Joe. Unfortunately, the baby wallaby got attacked by a rat and died. I was at work when it happened and I was devastated when I got home and found Joe bleeding and half alive. Here are some photos of Joe.


little joe having a feed

you can see how small joe was when i had him.


The other day, a scruffy man walked into our office trying to sell us baby eagles for K100 each! That's roughly US$40. When I declined his offer, he told me I could have them for K50 each! That was a steal! I have learned my lesson though and I do not support these animal poachers who will one day ruin this country's wildlife with their selfishness and greed. I hope one day, these guys get caught and punished for their acts of greed. Here are some photos of the baby eagles. They looked scared. I do not know how old they were but they weren't even fully developed.

baby eagles struggling to stand on a flat smooth surface

you can see how small they are and how their feathers haven't developed yet.

the little guy looked so scared in the basket.

Just earlier, I had someone offer me a baby deer for K100. I can't believe it! Oh well.


No comments:

Post a Comment