Wednesday 3 August 2011

Mendi

Mendi is the provincial capital of the Southern Highlands, the most resource rich province of Papua New Guinea. This is where the LNG project is based at and just in case you don't know what the LNG project is, it is by far the single largest investment so far in the Pacific worth K20 Billion. The effects of this investment has shown a positive result for the country's GDP but how this amount will trickle down to the average person is another question. I'm not here to talk about these things though. There are plenty of blogs and discussion forums out there already about this.

So I left on Monday at 0930. I thought it'd just be an hour but I arrived in Mendi at almost 1130. The plane was a Dash-8 36-seater turboprop plane. It was probably about 2/3 full even though there are no daily flights to Mendi from Port Moresby. We had difficulties landing too as it was foggy even when it was close to lunch time. There are no Avis or Hertz car rentals here so you're on your own for transport. How did I get around? I walked or hitched and I took the PMV. I highly do not recommend these though especially to first time travellers to the highlands.


i was amused to see my plane's shadow as we flew over some reefs

Mendi airport is right besides these mountains
I stayed at the Christian Guest House. It doesn't look like much from the outside and it only has a total of 6 rooms available. It only has Australia network on when I turned on the television but it was really clear. Much clearer than the reception that you'd get from some cable companies in the country. There was a phone line and I was surprised that internet was available! I didn't bring a laptop though so I wasn't able to check the internet speed. The toilet was clean and had hot water. The room also came with an electric jug and some instant coffee. There are no fans or air conditioners. It is cold here. At 0900, your mouth still generates steam when you talk.


with no sign, it is hard to spot Christian guest house

my room had 2 beds and a 14-inch television


my toilet - it is amazing how Disney reaches even this remote place


i subsisted on tinned food and crackers

The town is small and I think all the business houses only occupy around 4 square blocks. There is only 1 bank - BSP. The only building here is the provincial capital headquarters that goes up 7 stories. There are no restaurants and no hotels. There are a number of small lodges but don't expect them to have plenty of amenities and hot meals. The streets are teeming with people during the daytime but everyone starts going home by 1600. By 1700, Mendi town is a ghost town.


people sit around everywhere

the streets are full


people here seem to love darts


the provincial headquarters

I stuck out like a sore thumb as I was the only Asian there. Well, I think I was. I didn't see anyone else. I saw some Australian missionaries. I was told by the local businessmen that they do not welcome outsiders to do business in Mendi town which is good as I saw that there was no music piracy here unlike in other towns and cities of PNG where Asian shops operate.

Whenever I go to the highlands, I always am amazed at the flowers that grow in the gardens here. I didn't have a good camera and had to make do with my little Pentax H90. I took some macro shots and here they are.


i love seeing water on flowers

this bug was quite friendly


i love how the drops arrayed itself on this leaf


this rose though closed looks lovely


the locals call this an everlasting flower - it is lovely

i was really amused with the reflections on these droplets

here are clearer reflections on the droplets

On my last day, I checked myself in at the airport at 1000 even though my flight was still at 1500. I knew that people would start checking in early and I was right. I was already third in line when I got there. What surprised me at the airport though was that there is an executive lounge there! Boy... wouldn't you know right? Well, I asked for the key and got myself inside. Though it didn't have any refreshments at all, at least I had soft seats and a clean toilet! The plane arrived on time and I made sure that I was the first to board the plane. After subsisting only on crackers and tinned food for 3 days, I just wanted to get back to Port Moresby and got a hot meal! I got back at almost 1700. The flight really does take around 110 minutes! I have to say, Mendi wasn't what I expected but it was quite an adventure.


the lounge is more like a room

1 comment:

  1. Hello! You have an interesting website. It is nice to visit here.

    ReplyDelete