Sunday 31 July 2011

pasta & pork cutlets

My friend asked me to make lunch since he is leaving tomorrow. Since it's a Sunday and I didn't really have anything planned, I said yes. He asked for my pasta in white sauce and I thought I'd do a smokey little twist to it. I also thought I'd do a new recipe. I've never done this one before but I've done something similar and I thought it was simple enough. Things went wrong though when I discovered that my pork was too thick and uneven and I couldn't find a chef's mallet. The idea was to make a lemon pork schnitzel but the butcher gave me pork that was just too thick. Anyway, it wasn't a total disaster as my friends liked it though they did find my sauce a bit too sweet. However, I still wasn't pleased with the result. I figure I could improve on this by chopping the almond flakes and using a deep fryer with thinner slices of pork.

Here are the recipes:

Smokey Blue Cream Sauce
  • 1 slab - creamy blue cheese
  • grated smoked gouda
  • epicurean cheddar (this tastes extra sharp)
  • smoked pepperoni
  • pepperoni
  • 2 small tubs of thickened cream
  • 2 large brown mushrooms
Breaded pork cutlets (originally intended to be schnitzels)
  • sliced pork
  • almond flakes
  • tabouli mix
  • bread crumbs
  • eggs
  • salt lemon juice
Lemon sauce
  • 3/4 cup sugar (this turned out to be too sweet - a half cup would do)
  • 4 lemons juiced
  • zest from 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • butter for finishing
And here are the photos:


almond flakes
tabouli mix - made of chopped parsley, mint, tomato, spring onion, dried lemon.
fresh lemons
fresh bread crumbs - this was still warm when i got it.
as the pork was too big, i had to slice it into smaller cuts.
the pork was too thick so i had to pound it with the back of my knife. i would've used a chef's mallet but every shop here is out of stock.
i marinated the pork in freshly-squeezed lemon juice & salt
beat the eggs
tabouli mixed with almond flakes and bread crumbs.
the ingredients are ready! let the breading begin!
breading the pork
they're ready to fry!
we didn't have a deep fryer so i pan-fried the pork.
pork is cooked! unfortunately, some pieces had their breading fall off.
mixing the lemon sauce.
boiling the noodles
browning the mushrooms
the pepperoni - 2 types
simmering the sauce
mixing in the cheeses - grate the cheese first to let it melt faster.
lunch is served!
Well, that was my Sunday. Tomorrow, I fly out so I'd be out for a few days. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment