Sunday 10 July 2011

Brown & Orange

Well it's another Sunday here in Port Moresby. I love slow & lazy Sundays where I can just sleep in and take it easy without a worry. I woke up close to 0900 and felt a little hungry. I just bought my favourite commercial cookies so I decided I would have that for breakfast today. Pepperidge Farms is an American company that specializes in baked goodies. It was started by a housewife before WWII and was later on acquired by the Campbell soup company. They are high quality and really delicious. I got 4 packs recently.

So this moring, I decided I'd just have a simple and light breakfast consisting of cookies and milk. I freeze my glasses so they always come out nice and frosty. When I pour any beverage in these glasses, the beverage instantly gets colder. Milk is one of the beverages I love drinking almost frozen so I poured myself a nice glass and got myself 2 soft captiva cookies.

These captiva cookies are double chocolate. They are soft with large chocolate chunks in a chocolate cookie dough base. Though they are not my favourite cookie variant, they are pretty close to being it.

soft captiva cookies from pepperidge farms
I fell asleep again after breakfast and woke up with a roaring tummy. The other day, I bought some scotch fillets with the intention of having these for lunch so I got up and prepared the ingredients for my lunch - steak and mushrooms!

We all have our preferences for how we like our food. I like my steaks marinated for 3 days in fresh and sweet orange juice. I don't add salt or worcestershire sauce. The acids in the juice breaks down the meat making it nice and soft and the juice itself imparts a nice & subtle orange to the meat. Here is the steak that has been marinated for 3 days.


I also brought out the other ingredients. Rosemary, button mushrooms, butter and salt. My whole meal only consisted of 5 ingredients. Keeping it simple ensures you are able to draw out the flavours from each ingredient without confusing your palette.
Fresh rosemary - my favourite herb
scrumptious fresh large button mushrooms
So now that we've got the ingredients, let the cooking begin!

melt the butter
heat up the pan and throw in the steak
melt the butter and lightly salt
cooked 3 1/2 minutes per side
it takes about a minute to brown mushrooms like this
Bon Appetit!
So that was my lunch. For tonight, I'll be eating light since I feel like going back to sleep after a satisfying lunch. C'est la vie mon ami.

No comments:

Post a Comment