Sunday 17 July 2011

Are you chicken?

I decided to make a Sunday chicken lunch today. It has been a while since I cooked chicken and it has been a while since I baked anything. So I decided I'd combine the two and make my chicken baked in salt. Yes, the whole chicken is baked in salt. The skin becomes quite salty so I never eat the skin. The meat itself becomes very tender and literally falls off the bone.

To go with my chicken, I've decided to pair it with some sweet orange sauce.

I've already prepared the ingredients for this dish a few days before as I had to make sure that the olive oil is already infused with the flavours of the rosemary and fennel.

Chicken baked in salt

The ingredients
  • Chicken - size 17
  • Rosemary
  • Fennel
  • Olive oil
  • 2 kgs salt
  • 4 lemons
  • 1 small whole garlic
  • 1 small whole onion
  • 2 eggs
Prepare the olive oil mixture a few days before. Steep the rosemary and fennel into the oil and leave it. You'll use this once you're preparing the chicken.

Once you're ready, prepare the chicken; squeeze the lemon juice; mix the egg with the salt in a bowl; mix the juice with the 2kgs of salt, mix some rosemary and fennel into the salt mixture; squeeze the empty lemon rinds into the chicken along with the onion and garlic;  prepare an aluminium tray; make a salt bed; brush the olive oil mixture onto the chicken; put the chicken on the bed; put the salt mixture onto the chicken and make sure you cover the whole chicken; preheat oven to 200 C; throw in the chicken for 2 hours; crack it open and enjoy!

Orange Sauce

The Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp corn starch
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • juice of 4 oranges
  • 2 tbsp butter
Juice the oranges; zest a rind; heat up your sauce pan, throw in the sugar and the corn starch; pour in the orange juice; whisk everything together; throw in the butter when it starts to boil; let it simmer for a couple of minutes and serve!   

Chicken Baked in Salt

size 17 chicken, washed and ready
4 lemons
stuffing the lemon rinds, rosemary, onion & garlic inside
lemon juice, eggs and salt for the salt mixture
throw in the chopped fennel & rosemary
extra virgin olive oil with rosemary & fennel
brushing on the oil mixture
preparing the salt bed
the salt mixture ready for application
slathering on the salt mixture
all done & ready for throwing into the preheated oven
after 2 hours of baking at 200 C
the chicken is hidden inside the tough salt shell
cracking open the chicken
taking off the hard salt shell
chicken ready for serving
chicken so soft, it falls off the bone

Orange Sauce


4 oranges ready for juicing
zesting the orange
orange zest
1 tbsp corn starch
3/4 cup sugar
the juice of 4 oranges
whisking everything in the sauce pan
the orange sauce ready for serving
I hope you guys enjoyed this post. The chicken skin is salty. I do not recommend eating it. I take it all off and take off the meat off the bones. The garlic inside would be very soft. I squeeze it out and mix it with my thyme rice. I take the chicken meat and put it on top of the rice and pour the sauce. It is delicious! I ate so much, I probably won't eat dinner anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment