Saturday 9 July 2011

Saturday Doldrums

So it's a Saturday and yes, I do have work. I hate having to get up on a Saturday morning but one good thing about Saturdays is that the atmosphere is a wee bit lighter in the office since everyone is looking forward to the weekend. I have to say though that I am not full of cheer today as my tummy is still rumbling from a pie gone wrong that I had in Lae. My tummy seems to be in a better mood for ther weekend as it shakes and rumbles by itself. I haven't eaten properly since yesterday so I resolved to sort my tummy out by drinking some Mylanta. It's a minty liquid that's supposed to fix your indigestion and gas problems. I've been burping all night so I hope this sorts me out.  

Whoever said you can't find good food in Port Moresby is probably too scared to come out of their house. Mr. Ang who specializes in roasting ducks wakes up at 0400 every day to start his oven and prepare the day's food. He was running a successful restaurantat Petaling street in Kuala Lumpur's Chinatown when he decided to relocate to Port Moresby.

I decided to have soup for lunch. For 4 years now, whenever I'm in Port Moresby, I usually have Bah Kut Teh at Ang's. Bah Kut Teh is a pork rib soup with Shitake mushrooms and Chinese herbs. Bah means pork, Kut means bone and Teh means tea or soup. The original version had a tea-like soup which originated from Port Klang in Malaysia. The soup was a recipe made by the locals for the coolies who worked at the Port. As time passed, the recipe was picked up and passed on and soon became extremely popular all across Malaysia. I have to say that it is one of my favourite soup-based dishes to eat especially on a rainy day like today. 

With the Bah Kut Teh is some light soy sauce mixed with chopped chillies and garlic. I always have this with the soup as the heat from the chilli and the garlic's intense flavour compliments the soup's flavour perfectly. 



A must for me to down the Bah Kut Teh is some Teh Tarek. This is a very popular Malaysian drink that is based on black tea and a mix of evaporated and condensed milk. It is creamy and frothy and has to only have a touch of sweetness to it. This milky concoction is "pulled" from one container to another making it frothy. I love it and I usually have two glasses. 


The highlight of my day was when I received my Ririki hard drive. It wasn't exactly the model I wanted but it will do. The Ririki hard drive is manufactured by Lacie, one of the media storage companies I hold in high regard. I have used their products for years now and all I can say is that they make their products to last. They made be a wee bit more expensive than seagate or western digital but the level of craftsmanship you get from them is top-notch. Whoever said you can't get things here in Port Moresby probably lives under a rock.


Compared with my blackberry curve
 This is the world's smallest hard drive and comes in two variants, the 500gb and the 1tb version which are the same size. I wanted the 1tb version but they have apparently run out of stock as I am guessing this is a popular model. The dimensions are 10.9cm by 7.5cm. It is made of aluminium and is solidly built. I will be using this with my Sony Vaio G which is the world's smallest netbook. I am claiming both the Sony Vaio G and the Lacie Ririki to be the world's smallest only as of this writing. With how fast technology advances these days, it will roughly take only six months for anything to get outdated. New versions of the Sony Vaio G have already come out fitted with 250gb flash memory hard drives.

No comments:

Post a Comment