Sunday 3 July 2011

Whoopeedo... it's another Sunday

This is funny. I woke up today at 7am. I was hoping to have slept in as it is a Sunday, the one day of the week when I'm not required to wake up early. The one day when I do not have to work. This to me is an enigma that occurs everytime I am not required to wake up early and I am sure that I am not the only person stricken with this "disease."

As a little boy growing up, I remember waking up early to catch channel 9's Saturday Fun Machine. It was a morning devoted to cartoons and I loved every minute of it. I guess it puzzled my mum how it was a struggle for me to wake me up daily for school and yet here I was waking up by myself in time to catch the morning cartoons. Our natural body clock is indeed an amazing thing.

This morning, I rolled out of bed waiting for my friend to call me as he said he wanted to have breakfast. I looked around my room and decided that I should take a photograph of the things I see as soon as I wake up. First up is my alarm clock which I turn off on Sundays. It's a Wehrle travel alarm clock. It is attached to a nice leather case to go with it. A LED torch is right besides it as you never know when the lights will go out in Port Moresby.



At the foot of my bed is my entertainment system which includes my computer and on my bed are my keyboard, mouse, universal remote control which does control my whole entertainment system and my blackberry.


As you can see, what greets me every morning is FTV.


I stumble out of bed to my dresser and realized that I need to clean it up. It's been taken over by all my stuff. You can see here how I made a little charging station for all my gadgets and gizmos as well as my back up computer and my wireless headphones that I use for skype.


So since I'm so bored, I decided to start this blog about life in Port Moresby. I figured life here is such a mystery that I might as well write about my life here so that people would have an inkling as to what it's like living in a place people refer to as paradise but only hear of violence in the news. This place is fast becoming a modern society but at the same time, it is refusing to let go of its cultural identity. The result is a confused nation with the older people on one end embracing their culture and the younger generation trying to embrace western norms and trends.



To start this blog, I decided I'd need to arm myself with a pocket camera since I'd be taking a lot of photographs. So after eating a meal cooked by my friend's new wife from Vietnam, I went off to the mall and got myself a nice looking camera, the Pentax H90. For its price, I was quite impressed with its features. Oh, and have I said it looks really cool?



Anyway, I'm back at my house charging the battery to my latest toy and just waiting for my girlfriend to message me. I haven't really decided what I'll have for dinner but then, that's a typical Sunday here. Paradise indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment