Thursday 14 July 2011

A quick lunch

My lunch hour is 60 minutes. I guess that's why they call it a lunch hour. The thing is, an hour is pretty short especially if you're jumping into traffic. By the time you're done eating, your hour is almost up and you have to quickly brave the traffic and get back to the office. What makes my lunch hours even shorter is that there are always people who want to talk to you just as you're about to leave. And they wonder why I'm grumpy? A growling stomach is never pleasant especially since I don't take breakfast.

For me, the quickest way to have a hot lunch is to microwave a pre-cooked meal. Unfortunately, I do not own a microwave nor do I have any intention of ever purchasing one. I believe that these infernal devices cause the molecules to vibrate and change my food's composition into something possibly carcinogenic.


multigrain seed bread from Brumby's
So in order to save time but still have a nutritious and yet delicious meal, I usually make myself a nice toasted sandwich. I usually purchase different types of deli meats to have with my favourite multigrain seed bread. Where can you purchase deli meats? Well, you can go the expensive route and buy it from Deli KC's or you can do what I do and buy it from the supermarket. I buy my deli meats either from RH Supermarket or Boroko Foodworld depending on what kind of deli meat I want. They both have different types though I have to say that Foodworld's is fresher. However, RH's is vacuum packed which is a plus for me.

So I recently shopped and here are the deli meats I picked up.

mortadella - an Italian large sausage similar to bologna but usually contains olives or nuts and studded with bits of fat and pepper
Prager ham - lightly smoked and boneless leg ham
sopresso del nono - an Italian spicy salami made of pressed pure premium cuts of pork

And our deli meat for today...

Hungarian salami! - heavily spiced with paprika, smoked and has a mouldy white rind


le ingrédients

Now how do you make a sandwich? First of all, you need a flat surface. Then you get 2 slices of good quality bread, slather on the butter, put some manner of condiment, mix in an herb or two, pile in the meat and toast it! Well, toasting is optional. In today's version, the ingredients are... bread, butter, mustard, thyme, cheese and hungarian salami!

Now off to the toaster you go! As I don't own a proper toaster or a sandwich press, I use a George Foreman grill. Don't you love these versatile kitchen appliances? I love how it adds grill lines to my sandwich!







And voila! The finished product with visibly melted cheese! Bon appetit folks!

ooooh lala... this sandwich delivered me from hunger!

No comments:

Post a Comment