Wednesday 13 July 2011

Port Moresby

So what does Port Moresby look like? Well, like any other city, it is divided into several suburbs. Some are more affluent while some are settlement areas. Needless to say, the settlement areas are the places where you don't want to be at in the middle of the night. Like any other city too, Port Moresby is a good place to live in provided to have enough money to enjoy what it's got to offer.

Most expatriates yearn to live in town. I live in Boroko, an older section of the city where most expatriates used to live in back in the 80's. Today, Boroko is where most of the schools are as well as the sporting grounds. Town is the country's CBD lies. I apologize for the photo. I was quite far from town and used a 12mm wide angle and cropped it.


view of town from the yacht club
Now how do you get to town? You go through the Poreporena Freeway. This is a short stretch of road that cuts through a mountain range and goes down to Konedobu before you reach town. The views from the crest of the Freeway is quite impressive especially during sunset around October. One thing to watch out for are the pick-up trucks (utility vehicles) that load people at the back. It is funny that the police will stop and fine you for not wearing a seatbelt yet they allow people to ride in the back of these vehicles. Now which is more dangerous right?


going up the freeway - lots of people cross so you have to slow down
going down the freeway is always pleasant with this view
the most dangerous way to get around the city - the police don't stop them

Entering town, you reach a small area of tall buildings. Well, tall by Papua New Guinea standards. Town is a small area composed of roughly 6 blocks. Most of the buildings are commercial spaces. The rent is so high, most people cannot afford to live here. Most local businesses too have moved out and only the banks, insurance companies and multinationals are left.

We have 3 major banks in the country. Catholicism is the major religion but I believe you can find all denominations here. As with many developing nations, hope is easy to sell. Only ANZ and BSP have large buildings. Westpac is the 3rd bank. There's also Maybank but it's only got 2 branches.


the catholic church in town
BSP - one of my favourite buildings
ANZ - newly built last year

The city is also littered with various sculptures and paintings. I will feature 3 sculptures that I like which can be seen when you drive around the city.

the birds of boroko - when you see this, you're in boroko
sculptures of typical PNG family

copper beatings are a popular art form here - this one is on the freeway
And of course, there's the people. I'd be lying if I said that everyone here is pleasant. Like any place, you have nice people and you have criminals who are called rascals. In general, I'd have to say the the people are friendly and ready to smile especially if you're holding a camera. There are those though who can be rough. I remember when I was in Melbourne and the cab driver asked me where I was from. I said I was from PNG. He told me that PNG is scary and dangerous. I told him that though this has a bit of truth, we don't have the mafia like Melbourne does. That stopped him. When walking around the city, I strongly advise people to be aware of their environment and keep your belongings close to you and not to wear jewelry. My experience so far has been pleasant. Here's a parting shot of 3 ladies I met and enjoyed telling stories with.

3 old ladies from central province


No comments:

Post a Comment