Tuesday 11 October 2011

Birds of Paradise, Parrots & Tree Kangaroos

Today, I got the opportunity to see not one but quite a few Birds of Paradise. These are magnificent but rare creatures and their plumage is much sought after. Unfortunately, they are on the endangered list as poachers capture them to sell to private individuals as exotic pets and some tribesmen kill them for their feathers. I tip my hat off to Justin Tkatchenko for doing his best to help conserve these beautiful birds for the public to see which will be unveiled at the aviary by the Orchidarium this coming weekend. Over indigenous 500 birds will be housed in this aviary and I'm excited about it! My family has always loved birds and we used to always have several parrots in our house when I was small. Here are a few photos of the wonderful Birds of Paradise and Parrots that are to be unveiled in the aviary.





look into my eyes!


i wuv you!

cock-a-doodle-do! this is the supreme bird of paradise!

and it is trying to show me how supreme it is!


who are you?

these birds of paradise have such deep blue eyes!
a teenage cassowary. this is the most dangerous bird in the world. one kick from its giant feet can rip your guts out. it also uses its beak to strike things and its head to ram objects.

it's a red-faced duck!

how magnificent!

Justin has also been helping with conservation efforts for the tree kangaroos. Tree Kangaroos are the link between Koalas and Kangaroos. They are gentle creatures and are very rare. Some may look similar but you can see the difference in their tails which they use to balance themselves while climbing trees. I love these cute and cuddly balls of fur! I hope they start breeding soon so that we can have some success in repopulating their rapidly diminishing numbers in the wild.


hey! we're eating here!

duh...

i'm coming!

yoohoo!!!

say what..?

ahh! paparazzi!

i got you!!!

boo!!!

i love these little lovable balls of fur!

If you are offered these creatures as pets, please do not buy them as these creatures are not meant to be kept as pets. They are endangered and there is an urgent need to breed them so that future generations will be able to see and appreciate them.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there, my name is Junichi Tanigawa, working at LNG Project. I have been here in PNG for 7months but have not been to any place except Vision City on Sunday.

    I am a photographer myself and just wondering where you have taken those photos from, I would like to visit on Sunday(we work Monday to Saturday here in LNG)
    Please get in touch with me, perhaps we can shoot around together sometime, my email address is j.tanigawa@mail.com

    Thank you and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man! I've sent you an email!

    ReplyDelete