Thursday 27 October 2011

Supermarkets in Port Moresby

Lately, I have been repeatedly asked where I buy my ingredients for my recipes. Well, I've compiled this short list of supermarkets and what to get from them for your benefit.

A. Boroko Foodworld - they have the best selection of meat and sausages. They also have good honey multigrain, jogga, and bacon & cheese bread which I love to have in the morning. They also are very consistent with their fresh milk supply as well as their fruits. I love buying my fresh herbs, mushrooms and strawberries here. They have a small selection of imported foods such as Indian, Filipino, American and even Mexican. They also had some South African before. They have a good variety of cereals and health food and this is where I used to buy Quinoa from. They also have a good selection of Arnott's cookies. This is by far my favourite supermarket. I don't like buying bananas from Foodworld though since they're always still green. Get some Teddy's rootbeer from this place too! There is a bottleshop here where you can find Botrytis Semillon, Honey Mead and even Sticky Chardonnay. Their parking area is safe.


Boroko Foodworld

B. Vision City - this place is really a mall but inside is a large supermarket with a large dry goods section where you can buy auto accessories, electronics, shoes and even underwear! I barely venture into the dry goods section though. I buy my deli meats here because it comes in a vacuum sealed pouch. Though Foodworld has a better selection and fresher deli meats, I prefer keeping mine vacuum sealed as I tend to forget about them once they're in the refrigerator. They have the best selection of ice cream, frozen food such as smoked salmon, crab balls or even eclairs to name a few. I buy my multigrain bread from Brumby's which is located inside. One thing I like about this place is that their bananas are ripe and they have fresh shitake mushrooms. They also have a better selection of Asian tinned food such as Malaysian beef curry and Chaosansi from China. The bottle shop here has Tiger beer! You have two options for parking here. Underground parking is pay parking while outside parking is free. I park underground as it is secure though outside parking isn't bad too.


Vision City is actually a mall. RH operates the supermarket inside.

C. SVS 2-mile - the only reason why I like going to this place is for the chicken pastry in the morning and the teh botol which is Indonesian Iced Tea. However, they do have a selection of snacks such as Loacker wafer cubes and an assortment of Asian snacks. This is the place to go to if you're looking for frozen milkfish and other Asian foods. They have a good assortment of Asian sauces too. If you're looking for new sports shoes, there is a Puma/Nike shop inside. The bakery here can also bake some good cakes for birthdays and you can buy cute candles here too. Parking here is ok but just be careful not to park too close to others. I get scratched here more often. It can be hard to park during peak hours.

SVS 2-mile

D. SVS Harbour City - this place has the best selection of chocolates and other confections amongst all the supermarkets. This is also where you'll find eggnog and juices from the Daily Juice company. They carry Black & Gold food which is an Australian house brand. I like coming here for the pies from the bakery though I find the bread here easy to spoil. They used to make fresh short bread too but I haven't seen any for a long time. They have a good selection of D'Arenberg and Wolf Blass wines here. There is also a selection of Penfolds as well as liquers. Oh yeah, they have Tawny Port! The parking area here is large and relatively safe.


SVS Harbour City

Other places which I rarely go to.

E. Stop N Shop Waigani - the last time I was here, I bought some frozen brownies and jolly green giant tinned food. I was surprised to see that they had turkey. They also bring in a lot of Fijian products such as FMF and a lot of Indian brands too. I do not feel safe parking here. When I do park here, I make sure there is nothing inside the car to tempt would-be burglars and car thieves.

F. TST 4-mile - I have only been here a few times during my whole stay here. If you come here, you have to park at the back entrance where the Big Rooster drive-thru is. I don't remember what's inside but I do remember seeing stuff from Coles. The parking area at the back is safe though a lot of trucks pass through here and you can find yourself blocked at times by the car queue from Big Rooster.

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment