Thursday 13 October 2011

My quick breakfast fixes

Breakfast for me is important. However, it's never been that important for me to wake up early and prepare a proper early morning meal. If I have time, I try to eat some cereal or make myself a sandwich. If I don't, then I starve my way through to lunch. There are times though that my hunger gets the better of me and when it does, my brain ceases to function and all I can think of is food. When this happens, I have no choice but to purchase some food from somewhere. After so many years, I've narrowed my choices down to these three which I highly recommend.

Mind you, these items are fresh at 9 am. If you try to get yours by 10ish, then the store might have run out.  

The Chunky Steak Pie from harbour city. It has got a flaky top, nice pastry and savoury beef chunks with a thick sauce. This is my favourite pie in the country. My second favourite is the one at Andresons in Kokopo. Don't be surprised to find a chunk of fat in your pie from time to time though.


The Chicken Pastry is from sweetheart bakery in SVS. It has got shredded chicken inside a nice flaky pastry pocket. It's not as salty as the steak pie above. Amongs all three, this is the leanest with little fat except for what's in the pastry. It's also got the least amount of sodium amongst the three choices. There is a ham and cheese variant available too but I'm not a fan of that. I dislike their packaging too. While you're there, pick up some chewy brownies that are always just lying on top of the showcase. They're the best ready-made, always available brownies you can buy in town. 


The steamed pork bun from the Woks. The Woks is located over at the Digicel main office close to the old RH. These buns are excellent! They are nice and soft and the filling has a delicately delicious flavour. The pork inside usually has a bit of fat in it which I don't really mind as fat is flavour! I can eat four of these in one sitting! There are other variants too such as the lotus cream, chicken and special one which is a Tai Pao, a large bun filled with all the different fillings (except for the lotus cream) and some egg.



Lastly, the cheese and bacon bread from Boroko Foodworld. These soft buns are really delicious! The bread is soft and chewy and the topping is very savoury with a generous helping of tasty bacon bits! Amongst all of these items, this is also the cheapest! They also sell a cheese and tomato variant for the non-meat eaters.

Bon appetit mon ami! Remember, be there between 9-9:30 am if you want to try these delights! The pies and cheese and bacon bread though usually would still be available until after lunch but they wouldn't be as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment