Monday 12 September 2011

Fishing in Papua New Guinea

In a country such as Papua New Guinea, you can imagine how good the fishing would be. There are plenty of waters here and fish are plentiful. In fact, one of the country's major exports is Tuna. Sea cucumbers was also a major export but the local population has dwindled down so the fisheries department is trying to get the numbers back up before allowing more fishing.

Where do you go to fish? There are plenty of spots. I've only been to two though but on both occasions, I didn't have the sense to bring a camera with me. I went with Baining before with my boss and a lawyer. It was midnight with a full moon and the water was like glass. As soon as the lines were dropped in, fish started biting like crazy. We caught 12 fish within an hour. There was a variety barracuda, sweet lips, red emperor, coral trout, snapper and grouper.

The other spot was Hishu where a group of us went. Here, you can catch large Barramundi and I do mean large! You can catch Barra that's about 3 feet long easily! You can also catch black bass and other fresh water fish here like gourami. Well, they look like gourami to me.

I've been away which would explain why I wasn't able to post. I was able to go to this fishing spot with a pontoon. A lot of people fish here and luckily, I had a camera with me so here are some shots.

lots of people patiently fish at this pontoon
you don't need a fishing rod here. even a simple fishing line would do.
you catch a lot of small fish here.

but you can also catch a lot of large fish here. i wonder how he'll fit this into the frying pan.

So if ever you find yourself in Papua New Guinea, you should try your hand at fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment