Friday 2 September 2011

Mangoes & bananas & more!

the apple-mango is quite round.
Papua New Guinea's fruits are wonderfully delicious! Why do I use wonderful? Because they're either big or very flavourful! I came across two such specimens just recently. A friend who has a mango tree in his backyard was tired of the security guards stealing and eating his mangoes so he picked them all and gave me some. These were apple mangoes, the type that goes red and is very juicy. Here's a photo so you know what one looks like.


the apple-mango has an intense red colour when it is ripe. it also has a pronounced line going through the middle.

that's my hand & blackberry so you can see the size.
I also went to another friend's house where they were cooking bananas by coating them in some batter. The result was delicious! When I asked what bananas they used, they pointed these really large bananas! I was amazed and took a photo of these very long bananas for you to see. They were sweet and I am sure it would be hard for one person to eat one banana in one sitting.

There are a lot of other fruits that this country has that I am sure people would love. One of them is the noni fruit which is marketed in developed nations as a cure-all. Noni is quite common here and you can see it being peddled in the market just outside my office. Red pawpaw which is also called papaya is very, very sweet. I love its flavour. It's so soft that I smash it on the roof of my mouth with my tongue.

noni fruit starts giving of a very pungent smell when it's colour turns to this. this is almost ready for harvesting.
unripe noni fruit.
red pawpaw, so orange-y red to its core!
i've got no idea what this is but it was sweet!

So if ever you find yourself in Papua New Guinea, don't forget to try out the various fruits we have here. You won't regret and forget it!

No comments:

Post a Comment